the story of LINDEN sda
The Linden Seventh-day Adventist Church had its beginning in the home of Elder and Sister Sidney Armstrong.
God blessed 18 souls who formed the nucleus of the First Seventh-day Adventist Church in Queens. Because of membership growth, we have had several church homes, some temporary and some permanent.
January 15, 1927, Elder James K. Humphrey organized these 18 members into a church body know as The First Jamaica Seventh-day Adventist Church.
We will always be grateful to Allen A. M. E. Church for permitting our small congregation a place of worship in their church home.
After worshipping at the Jamaica Community Center for a period of time, we were blessed with our own permanent church home, a small wood-frame church building and parsonage, located at 106-52 160th Street, South Jamaica, Queens, pastored by Elder U.S. Willis.
Ministers who served our growing congregation during this period were: S. Armstrong, U.S. Willis, C. Cluff, J. Jervis, J. L. Martin, Sr., J. Cox, J. W. Clark, J. S. Green, Jr., I. O. Irons, and V. L. Roberts.
Two events happened in 1951 — our church caught fire during divine worship service, and New York City Housing Authority exercised its right of Eminent Domain, compelling the relocation of the church to St. Albans, Queens.
God continued to bless our membership growth.
Elder Lockett conducted a building expansion program and in 1966 the membership moved into a newly constructed church, annexed to our existing building. A parochial school was begun which served the church and neighborhood children and parents.
Pastors who served our congregation on Linden Boulevard were: Elders V. L. Roberts, G. R. Earle, E. A. Lockett, D. B. Reid, R. T. Wilson, H. C. Brewer, V. Runnels, and B. Cummings. Our church and school membership continued to grow.
We needed more space to house our school population under one roof. Elder Benjamin Cummings, our pastor, saw the need for a new location for our church and school.
Once again we sacrificed and pledged our offerings for a different church home. In November 1981, we packed our belongings and moved to the Laurelton Jewish Center, our present location in Laurelton, New York.
Deleting part of our name, we are now known as The Linden Seventh-day Adventist Church. As a result of Elder Cummings's leadership, a renovation program resulted in a newly decorated church home.
In October 1985, Elder Larry Bailey began his ministry here at Linden. He worked untiringly to unite the church, school, and community here in Laurelton in a bond of love, service, and fellowship.
After the Grand Opening of this new facility on May 18, 1986, Pastor Bailey, a man of immeasurable faith, inspired our members to accept the impossible — the liquidation of two mortgages totalling $400,000.